For foreigners

Office hours and place

Wielkopolska Voivodeship Office in Poznań
Citizen’s Affairs and Foreigners Department
pl. Wolności 17
61-739 Poznań
Infolinia: 61 850 87 77

If you wish to make an appointment with the office go to
You can check the queue status online via

General information

General information on the means of the legalisation of residence or employment and the collection of residence cards is provided -

Mondays from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm
Tuesdays to Fridays from 9:30 am to 3:15 pm

Temporary residence and work permit

Where do I apply?

You can submit your application to the Citizen and Foreigner Department (Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców)
Pl. Wolności 17, the ground floor – Sala (room) B
Monday 9:30-18:00
Tuesday-Friday 8:15-15:15
Infolinia: 61 850 87 77

You can make an appointment with our office on or check the waiting time on .

When should I apply?

You should submit an application if you are planning to stay in Poland for longer than three months and if you came to Poland to work.

In order to apply for a temporary residence and work permit, you have to appear in our office in person, on or before the last day of your legal stay in Poland.

If you submit your application within the specified deadline and if it contains all the officially required information, or if you supplement it with the missing information within the assigned deadline, your stay will be legal starting from the date when the application is submitted until the date when the decision concerning the application becomes final.

If you file for the discontinuation of the proceedings concerning the granting of a temporary residence permit, your stay in Poland in this period will not be considered legal.

Important: A stamp in your travel document does not give you the right to travel within other Schengen countries, but you have the right to leave for your home country.

What types of documents do I need to enclose?

  1. The application completed according to instructions – one copy – see. Applications are also available from the Citizen and Foreigner Department at Pl. Wolności 14, 4th floor (application)
  2. Four colour photographs that:
  • are undamaged, with good sharpness;
  • are of the dimensions 35 mm x 45 mm;
  • were taken not earlier than 6 months preceding the day on which you submit your application;
  • show your face, with your silhouette visible from the top of your head to the upper part of your shoulders, with your face occupying 70-80% of the photograph, against a bright background;
  • show you looking directly ahead into the camera with your eyes open, not covered with hair, with a natural facial expression and closed mouth; the photographs should reflect the natural colour of your skin;
  • clearly show your eyes, especially pupils, and the line of your eyes should be parallel to the upper edge of the photograph.

Important: If you wear a head cover because of your religion, you are allowed to attach a picture showing you with your head cover on, provided that your face is fully visible. In this case you should enclose a declaration stating that you are a member of a religious community.

  1. A photocopy of a valid travel document (you will also need to show the original document), and, in justified exceptional situations, when you do not have a valid travel document and there is no possibility to obtain it, you can present another identity document.
  2. A document stating that the staffing needs of the employer cannot be satisfied by the employment office (based on the registers of unemployed people and jobseekers), or a document stating that the employer could not find employees in the recruitment process organised for the employed, issued by the governor of the district in which you perform most of your working duties, not later than 180 days before you submit your application – if such a document is required.
  3. Confirmation that you have paid the required stamp duty.

Important: To issue the permit we will also require you to submit documents confirming the circumstances indicated in the application (click here to find out: “Will other documents be required apart from those you have already enclosed with your application”?).

How do I complete the application form?

Before you complete the application form, please read the instructions on pages 8 and 9 of the application form.

While completing the application form, remember to:

  • complete the application form legibly, in the Polish language;
  • complete all the obligatory boxes, providing accurate and true information;
  • complete the application-form boxes in block capitals;
  • if in the past you provided us with other personal details, please write this in your justification;
  • give the actual address of the place where you are staying and wish to receive all correspondence;
  • in the “Criminal records” section – inform us about any judgements that have been rendered against you (if you have doubts as to the rendered judgements indicate that the proceedings are pending (IMPORTANT: Having paid a fine does not mean that no criminal proceedings have been instigated or that no judgement has been rendered against you);
  • inform us about all proceedings that are pending against you (e.g. involving your refusal to accept a fine) in the “Criminal or misdemeanours proceedings pending” section;
  • enclose a confirmation that you have paid the required stamp duty;
  • enclose photographs in the required format;
  • personally apply your signature (in the Latin alphabet) to the application;
  • enclose the completed enclosure No. 1 (signed by your employer) to the application.

Will other documents be required apart from those enclosed with the application?

For your application to be granted you will also need the following documents:

  • a document confirming that you have been provided with accommodation (e.g. a confirmation of registration for residence, a tenancy or flat-rental agreement, or a declaration by the person in charge of the residential unit that they have provided for your accommodation);
  • a work contract or a contract of mandate;
  • a document confirming that you have a stable and regular source of income sufficient to support yourself and your dependants (if you run your household alone – a monthly net amount of PLN 634, or, if you are part of a family, a monthly net amount of PLN 514), for example the PIT 37 or PIT 40 forms issued in your name for the last year, or a relevant certificate from the Polish Social Insurance Institution (ZUS);
  • a document stating how many dependants you have;
  • documents confirming that you have medical insurance, as provided for in the Act of 27 August 2004 on healthcare services financed from public funds, or a confirmation of an insurer's coverage of medical treatment costs in Poland (for example, a relevant certificate from ZUS or an insurance policy);

Important: If you enclose with your application all the documents listed above, this might mean less correspondence to exchange with our office and a shorter time needed for handling your case. If in the course of proceedings we need any explanations or more-precise information from you regarding the evidence that we have collected in your case, you may be required to submit other documents or to give testimony to confirm the circumstances mentioned in the application.

What are the fees?

Stamp duty for a temporary residence and work permit amounts to

PLN 440.00

and should be paid to:
Urząd Miasta Poznania
Wydział Finansowy
Oddział Pozostałych Dochodów Podatkowych i Niepodatkowych
ul. Libelta 16/20
61-706 Poznań
Bank: PKO BP S.A.
Bank account number: 94 1020 4027 0000 1602 1262 0763

Make sure that you enclose a payment receipt with your application.

For issuing a residence card or replacing it we charge a fee of

PLN 50.00

which should be paid to:
Wielkopolski Urząd Wojewódzki
Poznań, al. Niepodległości 16/18
Bank account number: 70 1010 1469 0000 3922 3100 0000

When and where do I collect my residence permit?

Your residence card will be issued after you are granted a temporary residence and work permit and after you submit a receipt for the payment of PLN 50.00 to the account of:

Wielkopolski Urząd Wojewódzki
Poznań, al. Niepodległości 16/18
Bank account number: 70 1010 1469 0000 3922 3100 0000

Remember that if you want to collect your residence card you must appear in person at
Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców (The Citizen and Foreigner Department), Pl. Wolności 17, the ground floor – Sala (room) B .

To confirm that you will come to collect your residence permit call us on Infolinia: 61 850 87 77.

What you need to know?

When submitting your application for a temporary residence and work permit you will have your fingerprints taken.

You have to submit the originals of your documents (or their copies, then be prepared to present the originals for inspection).

If you submit documents in a language other than Polish, you are also required to submit translations of such documents into Polish drawn up and duly certified by a sworn translator.

All correspondence will be served to the address indicated in the application or, if you appoint your representative, it will be delivered to their address.

If you live outside Poland and do not appoint a representative who lives in Poland to be in charge of your case, you are obliged to nominate an agent for service (in Poland). If you fail to appoint such an agent, all correspondence intended for you will be put on the file of the case and deemed to have been served.

Temporary residence permits are granted for a period sufficient for you to realise the purpose for which you came to Poland, but no longer than three years.

Decisions to grant, deny or withdraw temporary residence permits are made by the governor of the voivodship in which you have your place of residence.

Obtaining a temporary residence and work permit does not exempt you from the obligation to meet the requirements on obtaining licences to practice professions or carry on certain activities provided for in separate provisions.

Once you have obtained a temporary residence permit, you are obliged to notify the voivodship governor who granted the permit, within 15 working days, if the circumstances which justified the granting of the permit cease to exist. SHOULD YOU FAIL TO DO SO, YOU MIGHT BE REFUSED ANOTHER TEMPORARY RESIDENCE PERMIT FOR ONE YEAR FOLLOWING THE EXPIRY OF THE PREVIOUS PERMIT.

Legal regulations

  • the Act on Foreigners of 12 December 2013 (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2013, item 1650, as amended) (external link);
  • the Act of 13 June 2003 on granting temporary protection to foreigners within the territory of the Republic of Poland (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2012, item 680, as amended) (external link);
  • Stamp Duty Act of 16 November 2006 (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2015, item 783, as amended) (external link);
  • the Code of Administrative Procedure Act 14 June 1960 (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2016, item 23) (external link);
  • the Social Welfare Act of 12 March 2004 (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2015, item 163, as amended) (external link);
  • the Regulation of the Minister of Internal Affairs and Administration of 21 December 2015 on the application for temporary residence permit (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2015, item 2314) (external link);
  • the Regulation of the Minister of Internal Affairs of 29 April 2014 on documents issued to foreigners (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2014, item 589) (external link);
  • the Regulation of the Minister of Internal Affairs of 25 April 2014 on the fees charged in the Republic of Poland on foreigners for the issue and replacement of documents which may be issued to foreigners, and the mode of payment (Journal of Laws “Dz.U.” of 2014, item 563) (external link);

If you have any questions

  • send an e-mail to,,
  • visit our information desk at the Citizen and Foreigner Department (Wydział Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców), Pl. Wolności 17, the ground floor – Sala (room) B, or
  • call us: Infolinia: 61 850 87 77.

Application forms

Autor: Aneta Budnik, Patrycja Bura
Data utworzenia: 09.06.2012
Osoba publikująca: Karina Michalak
Data publikacji: 21.06.2018 - 08:13
Ostatnia aktualizacja: Barbara Pietrzyk
Data aktualizacji: 06.07.2018 - 07:36